Mr. Trap and I spent the end of 2011 having a lovely dinner at this blog’s favorite restaurant Hungry Mother. I hadn’t been there in over a year! How did that happen? Time really is flying by. We have written about the restaurant several times like here for example. I wish they would just go ahead and sponsor this blog already. At least feed us once a season. That is fair right. No? Fine. We will still keep going.
Mr. Trap being the kind gentleman that he is let me pick the wine. I narrowed it down to two choices: big California or Italian without giving him any details. He chose Italian! I am glad he did because this wine went with every single one of our food choices. We ordered a bottle of Gran Sasso 2009 Montepuliciano de Abruzzo. This wine was bright and juicy. Medium bodied with light tannins. Just a joy in the mouth by being big enough to entertain your mouth alone and pairing well enough with all the food to let the food shine without the wine getting in the way.
What did we order? (What didn’t we order is an easier question.)
- Boiled peanuts – a must
- French gnocchi with ‘canadian’ bacon, mushrooms, purée blanche, swiss chard, sarvecchio
- Charcuterie board with pate, deviled ham, cold cuts preserves & pickles, hm stout mustard, french baguette toast
- Berkshire pork and grits with smoked ham hock, bbq rib, dixie sausage, red-eye gravy
- Scallops with grapefruit and potatoes
- Salted Butterscotch pot de creme black pepper chantilly, popcorn brittle
In our defense they serve very reasonable portion sizes. However, this was a huge splurge and our reward for Christmas and the New Year.
What did you do for your New Year’s celebration?